Visit our NEW Web Site at:
Looking for a healthy future? The Health Department recommends eating a diet rich in colorful fruits and vegetables. The potential benefits associated with eating more fruits and vegetables stack up quickly: Reducing your risk of certain chronic diseases is only the beginning.
Here are some of the many reasons to eat more fruits and vegetables:
· Color and texture. Fruits and veggies add color, texture and appeal to your plate.
· Convenience. Fruits and veggies are nutritious in any form - fresh, frozen, canned, dried and 100 percent juice.
· Fiber. Fruits and veggies provide fiber that helps fill you up and keep your digestive system happy.
· Low in calories. Fruits and veggies are naturally low in calories.
· May reduce disease risk. Eating plenty of fruits and veggies may help reduce the risk of many diseases, including heart disease, high blood pressure and some cancers.
· Vitamins and minerals. Fruits and veggies are rich in vitamins and minerals that help you feel healthy and energized.
· Variety. Many varieties of fruits and veggies are available so there is always something new to try.
· Quick, natural snack. Fruits and veggies are nature's treat and easy to grab for a snack.
· Fun to eat. Some crunch, some squirt, some you peel and some even grow right in your own backyard.
The DuPage County Health Department offers a wide range of immunizations that protect children and adults from diseases.
Immunization services are offered at the Public Health Centers in Lombard, Westmont and Wheaton. Both childhood and adult immunizations are available for a fee. In addition, childhood immunizations are available through the Vaccines For Children (VFC) program for children who do not have insurance or have insurance that does not cover immunizations. Parents should contact the Health Department to check the eligibility of their children for VFC.
Parents are reminded that Illinois has a new requirement this year for sixth and ninth grade students to show proof of having received a Tdap booster dose to protect against pertussis (whooping cough).
Anyone with questions about specific vaccines, clinic schedules and costs for the vaccines should contact the Health Department. Vaccine availability may vary.
Travel immunizations and health information for foreign travel are available by appointment only through the Health Department's Travel Clinic. Charges for immunizations vary and are subject to change.
For information about vaccines or appointments please call (630) 682-7400.
The DuPage County Health Department urges DuPage County residents to add some physical activity to their lives as they "spring forward" into Daylight Saving Time.
The health department recommends that residents use the extra hours of daylight to add some "healthy habits" to their lives:
Use the extra hour of daylight in the evening to go for a walk, begin your gardening when the weather is a little warmer or begin a new outdoor hobby such as golf or tennis.
When you move your clocks forward one hour, it's also important to check or change the batteries in your smoke alarms.
Be careful when you go back to work on Monday, March 12. Many drivers lose an hour's sleep resulting in a marked, one-day increase in roadway collisions. Drowsy drivers cause deaths, injuries and lost productivity, according to the National Sleep Foundation. Those types of incidents typically surge 17 percent on the first workday after Daylight Saving Time each year, according to a study by the University of British Columbia. Drive defensively on Monday.
For more information on the DuPage County Health Department, follow us on Twitter @DuPageHD or become a fan on Facebook.
If you are looking for a way to workout but don't want to join a gym, and aren't sure whether beachbody workouts are for you,we have got quite a deal for you! We offer Fit Clubs and they are FREE!
What is a Fit Club? Hosted by Team F3 Fitness Independent Beachbody Coaches, these are groups that work out together to the Beachbody Programs such as P90X, TurboFire, Insanity, Brazilian Butt Lift, and many more!
This is a great way to preview a workout before deciding to purchase the whole program. They also give out product samples as well, such as Shakeology or the P90X Results and Recovery Formula. There is usually a lot of discussion and the coaches are there to help with any questions you may have. They also can check form and offer modifications during the workouts.
Go to http://www.teamf3fitness.com/Fit_Clubs.html to check it out!